Friday, December 18, 2009

Giving Thanks


I recently read a wonderful article in a Magazine called I.M (www.imag.com.my), it's an online magazine, which distributes free copies every month. It's a magazine devoted to Malaysian Individuality and I must say.. I like!

Well coming back ... They had a wonderful article written by J.A.S on Giving Thanks... and that got me thinking... Here I am.. in a place far far away from the place I used to call home till 1.5 years ago... where nearly everyday has taught me something new, a place I am now in love with.... settling here has been an experience and still is!

I got thinking.. what is it that I am thankful about in Malaysia? Yes, aside from all the happiness that Allah has given me .. here is a small list.. in NO particular order....Some of it may seem very trivial, but each of these things is something I say thanks for EVERYDAY! I tried to keep it down to 10.. otherwise this could become like the Iliad!



My Husband:
Yeah yeah! :) I truly am! Here's a man who's more than ready to put up with my madness and well sometimes encourages it! I know I am responsible for any white hair he might get before he is 60 :)


My Friends:
These are men and women who have helped me settle in.. who ground me!Who all can I be thankful about? I have truly been blessed with some wonderful people in my life, some I can think of right now; My first friend in KL, even before I got here, Ani.I would not have known 90% of what I know if it had not been for Jessika & Ani, I would not have known as much Bhasa as I do know if it was not for Rahima, Li-Sa, Andria, Anand and Jessika, I would not have met so many amazing people if it had not been for the awesome women at the International Women Association. Ani, Jessika, Rahima Li-Sa who are my sounding boards, Diane, who always has something awesome to say to me, Datin Pearl who ... who has been Datin Pearl! :), and everyone and anyone who I have missed.. U guys / gals have been the reason I have made it so far in KL :)


The Food:
Oh My God! This is a mecca for a glutton like me! Where ever I look, there's food! I have realised that Malaysians have 2 favourite pass times: Makan Makan and Jalan Jalan :) and they thought, why waste time on doing two different activities.... why not combine them!! It's my kinda country.. U eat u shop u shop u eat.. anytime of the day or night! The choices bewilder, the taste buds in a constant state of excitement! What more can one ask for?


Everyone on Federal Highway! For letting me through! :) Need I say more!


For the Traffic Phone Rangers on the Radio: Who let me know exactly why I am not moving and entertain me while I (patiently?) wait!


For the Trains !
It's fun to see others fuming along with their cars while I whiz away to my destinations and experience how sardines feel @ rush hour!

For the sweets guy @ Masjid Jam
Who makes the most awesome samosas

For the Petronas!
Yes! The twin towers! for some reason, they fill me with inspiration and pride.. friends make fun of me coz I call them MY Petronas! What to do! to me they are a symbol of a nation who's motto is Boleh!

The LAnguage!
Have picked up more BM in a year than telegu in the 15 years I was in AP (Ok yeah yeah! Telengana now), I know nothing to be proud of.. but the sheer exuberance of the language makes you want to learn it! if nothing else, to understand all the excitement! Some of my favourite phrases/ words .. alamak! (Yes! I thought it was a *bad* word for quite a while!), of course Makan! And Boleh! Boleh! to me signifies the spirit of the nation.. NOTHING is impossible.. We CAN! :)


Last, but definitely not the least...... The People!
From the taxi driver, who taught me my first driving lesson (Ma'am in Malaysia, we wait patiently for that guy in front to finish his telefon conversation, we do not honk, even if he is causing a jam for a mile behind!), to the fruit seller who taught me how to identify a ripe mangosteen, to every single person who has smiled at me and corrected me gently when I "try" and speak in Bhasa, who direct me on the roads , who interpret in super markets for me, to the kids at Kuala Selangor, who taught me how to speak to the silver leaf monkeys!To all the policemen who have very patiently listened to me laboriously construct a sentence in BM and then said, " Yes maam, but we can speak English!" To everyone who has ever allowed me to make a royal fool of my self but NEVER ever once laughed, but rather smiled and corrected me!! To everyone who has ever tried to stereotype me. The people in this country have been so wonderful, so warm, so welcoming. Thanks for making me feel like I belong here! Your indefatigable curiosity, your unquestioning acceptance.. humbles me!

I know I have missed out so much... coz everyday I am thankful for something new! well let's just say that I am thankful for being able to be thankful every day!

Share with me.. Tell me what are you thankful for!

No comments: