Well.. truth me told, I don’t have anything of value to share with all of you.. so go on.. Leave! I just love to write and write when the urge strikes me. Used to write diaries once upon a time, till a nosy brother found it! Since then I write letters and now that I have something called a blog.. I rant here!
It’s Chinese New Year! Gong Xi Fa Cai and all that! Welcome to the year of the Tigress! Yes, I can hear you out there.. saying that it is tiger not tigress.. But think about it
According to the Chinese Zodiac, the Year of 2010 is the Year of the Tiger, which commences on February 14, 2010 and ends on February 2, 2011. The Tiger is the third sign in the Chinese Zodiac cycle, and it is a sign of bravery. This courageous and fiery fighter is admired by the ancient Chinese as the sign that keeps away the three main tragedies of a household. These are fire, thieves and ghosts.
Tigers are physically powerful, gracious, independent and brave, they are extremely bold animals. They are friendly and loving but can also selfish and short tempered. Tigers live dangerously which often leads to trouble. They are intolerant, take risks and are always searching for excitement. Tigers are also instilled with a good dose of courage.The Tiger has an overpowering attraction and is very kind and always takes on the character as protector. The Tiger flourishes by power and attention and takes advantage of all circumstances it gets itself into. The Tiger is a natural leader and loves to be the centre of attention. As a rebel it goes up against authority and speaks out about wrongs in society, and willingly puts up objections. Even if you don’t agree with the beliefs of the tiger you admire his way to protest.
When people think of tigers, it is their vigor and power that comes to mind first. But it has also been noted that tigers are known to share and are unselfish animals. The reason people admire the tiger is due to the fact that they are ferocious and domineering on the outside, but they are just as noble and distinguished on the inside.
People that are born in the Year of the Tiger are generally well liked because of their charismatic personalities. Often, failing at a given duty or being unproductive in his personal or professional life can cause a Tiger to experience a deep sense of depression. A Tiger is always at their happiest when they endeavor to climb the ladder of success. Attaining the top spot is his foremost purpose; being in a position of power is her ultimate goal. They are quick learners and need to be challenged.
They are natural born leaders and perform at their best if working towards positions of power and influence. So once there is no further room for progression, they will often move on to something else.
Anyone that is born in the Year of the Tiger is usually straightforward and outgoing by nature. They will never give up no matter how aggravated they may become. But, they are also full of suspicion and at times will take hasty action. Never lose sight of the fact that Tigers are smart and instinctive.
All characteristics of a strong woman! So I say welcome to the year of the Tigress! ROOOOOAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRR !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Soon going to be 2 years since I have been in Malaysia! Sometimes seems such a short time and sometime (and I know you all agree with me) it seems like forever!
To me Malaysia is one of the best countries I could have moved to. Has such a strong Indian influence that sometime don’t feel away from home at all! The food is so beautiful, the people are so lovely, the places so mind boggling! What is there NOT to love about Malaysia! I mean You have all you need! Saya sayang kamu Malaysia!
Nearly every day has been a learning experience! Some pleasant and some not so pleasant.. but all learnings none the less! Decided to put down some of the gems.. not in any particular order.. just as I remember them!
- Things on the road to be afraid of!: There are ONLY 2 things I am afraid on , on Malaysian Roads (sometimes even off it!).
One are the buses. Imagine a scenario.. it’s a pleasant night, you are driving in your relevant lane on the highway.. cruising along, listening to the radio, talking to your beloved.. When all of a sudden a behemoth draws up behind you and suddenly blazes it’s monstrous eyes at you.. Your entire car is filled with light and you feel like the aliens have arrived to take you away! Hmm.. No am not done yet.. then the behemoth refuses to slow down and slowly inches closer and you in turn have to inch closer to the poor innocent fellow in front of you and scare the bejesus out of him! So How??
The second thing I am scared of are the lady drivers! (Yikes My mom is cracking her whip for that prejudiced comments!) but its true! Lady Drivers are scary! the blonde one / the mat salleh one will be trying not to panic and looking all around to see where disaster will strike.. Will one come out from under the car or will one fall from the sky!
The Indian one will be driving all over the roads.. who cares where the lane lines are! Who cares if it says Jalan Sehala.. it’s a democracy la!
The Chinese one will be stylishly dressed to the nines and putting on her lipstick while drinking coffee and talking on her cell phone and signing to the lady next to her!
The Malay ones… Hmm.. What the Hell! Its my road.. HOW Dare You show an INDICATOR! Grrrrr.. everytime I see that blinking light.. I will speed up and cut u off the MOMENT you think you have found an opening!
Sometimes I pity the men.. Almost!
- The golden rule of driving in KL: If you can see it, does not mean you can reach it! Need I say more?
- The other golden rules of driving in KL: It is our duty to save the environment.. so if we miss an exit.. even if by a mile… its ok to move into the left hand lane and reverse as fast as you can.. No! no need to worry about the poor chap who is driving along peacefully and sees the backside of a car reversing at him in full speed! That’s what the National Heart Institute is for!
Those pesky signs on the road that say 80Km/HR and all that stuff.. well unlike in other countries, in Malaysia it means that you have to be at that speed at minimum or else you will be fined!
- The relationship between the city beautification department and the city road works department: Where ever one will put a road sign, the other will plant a lush huge tree in front of it or vice versa!
- Parking: Utilisation of space is very important! Why waste time, energy and money going into that car park 5 meters away when you can park on the kerb or better still on the pavement, in the middle of the road, on the traffic island or on the wall? Its all in the spirit of utilising space in the best way!
- The T Shirts: I have finally come to the conclusion that they don’t read what they print and they don’t read before they wear the T-Shirts.. seen on a girl yesterday (wearing the scarf/ tudung), “I am not a prostitute, I just enjoy it! Seen on a guy.. “ I miss you all the time.. sometimes” !!
- The hair: I wonder how much time does an average Malaysian young adult spend in front of the mirror and how much does the hair gel and hair color industry contribute to the national GDP ?
- Obsession with Beauty Products! Jeez! Just pick up a magazine.. ANY magazine.. from Chips to the Tatler or NuYou.. more than 50% dedicated to what will whiten your skin and make you look like your new born daughter or make you look like a pea cock who escaped from the zoo!
- Sugal Flee means you buy the doughnut/ coffee and get flee sugal with it!
- The people are amazing! Always smiling, always ready to help and guide.. till you step into a restaurant/ store.. then all bets are off! No.. we don’t care that you have come to spend your money and buy our products. No we don’t care that you are hungry and would like to get food for which we will pay.. We will not serve u.. We will look in the other direction while handing you your menu.. we will attempt to give you a bath with ice water while pouring you a drink and will give you dirty stares if you as much as dare to order!
- Malaysians have 2 national pass times.. the food and the shopping! Best is when both can be combined! :)
- Communication is best done via Facebook! So go together to a restaurant, sit down, whip out your laptops, log into the WiFi and now talk to each other via FB or YM! Rocks!
- I have seen massive gatherings only in 2 conditions.. one when there is food and others when there was a mini riot.. well most of the times both are mutually perpetuated!
- I love this country. The people are so amazing! Everyone is always smiling, eager to help put. One of the only places where I get accurate traffic directions!
- I love the food.. Ok most of it! :) (don’t think will get used to the other stuff u know!)
- The gusto with which each festival is celebrated.. the festival markets, the rituals , the way everyone opens their heart and homes for their friends and loved ones
- And maybe more than anything.. I LOVE the Twin Towers!
Hmmm I think I had better stop now! But I can think of at least another 800!! (I did say more than 1 learning a day!) am I missing out anything?
Hmmm I did say I have nothing to say :) But then I also said that I was in the mood to babble!
Ciao till next time!